Tribes0.com - halp

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:23 am

Tribes0.com had been virtually unchanged for years, and desperately needs a facelift. I would like to make it an information site based on the Tribes series, with a strong leaning to the original Tribes, but including the new game. If you're interested in guiding and helping with the transformation, the line starts here. :cat:

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Yeah.. I think we should have a tribes1 website. Example of what we have for T2 is http://tribesnext.com/ and its great. I love the way it looks etc

After that, we could link the T1website for T2 and TV websites with cool banners or something. Maybe for Legions, Legends, etc etc tribes based games too? idk. But this would be a good start to promote our T1 loving game

It can also be linked to Tribes library http://library.theexiled.pwnageservers.com/

Maybe one of Binswee's videos for game play action.. I like azurite's tutorial vid too lol.

<!> website have some of these vids in main page / news etc
http://www.pushbiscuit.info/ (check next pages at the bottom etc)

edit: the new vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MCQexEQSLg

pretty cool
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

3 Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:46 am

FINE!
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

4 Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:24 pm

I'd help, but I really don't have time to take on yet another web development project. :|
Toe
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

5 Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:52 am

I aint much of a web developer but I can give some help in other respects. Maybe in the terms of *nix and BSD tribes installs
Jinzo
Contributor #1

6 Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 am

Tribes Next is an awesome looking website except for one thing... The splash page... It's so, 1990's...

That page should just be the background for the rest of the pages... There is literally no content on that page besides an animated logo, that plays once and then rests as a still image.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

7 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 pm

im down to help if there is anything you need, new content is what the game really needs this is a definite starting point

what are your ideas/intentions plas? any specific goal in mind or are you just redoing your site layout
bawb
Commander
Commander

8 Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:52 am

Dear plas
Tribes0 has a lot of resources that there is no link to them in the webpage.
You would need some good web-design if you want to bring the T:A noobs
to the community/site, but if the website is for us (Starsiege:Tribes) players
then I think an organized table with links and descriptions would be all the needed
web design.

T:A noobs will not give a love about Tribes 1 and 2 anyway...

If you want it to look like Tribes 1 put this as the background image :-D
http://roma.annihilation.info/tribeshj4.jpg
C--
Sorry....

9 Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:15 pm

I prefer the idea of a website designed to look like the menu/server list in a game, rather than the game itself.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

10 Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:44 pm

im tired of hearing people talk about why nobody plays anymore and why tribes is dead... do you guys realize that the main two reasons OTHER games are still active is because of ADVERTIZING and NEW CONTENT... WoW is not much younger than tribes and you still see commercials all the time on TV about new content and a massive playerbase

what happened to all the people who knew how to build hype over TRIBES? people are mostly negative about anything to do with the game that we ALL have admitted to having a solid place in our hearts for, FOR THE SAME REASON, we all want a better game to play but nobody has the drive to contribute anything that would make a difference... get some projects going, help plas out with his, nofix already got ran off whos next? the list of contributors runs thin not because of the game but the people involved being unenthusiastic and even going as far as to talk crap to the people who are actually trying to do anything about it. this is the product of a game left to ex players who still just want to play the game

something like that tribes+minecraft video and that is all it really takes to get people clicking on links. tribes OBVIOUSLY has better graphics than minecraft ever will... come the hell on, lets put our heads together and do something before the community is gone im going to feel like its my fault if i dont at least try and say something.. ive been playing this game since i was 10 years old

nofix you need to release that tribes SDK i know you still read these forums... what happened to andrew? bugs? kigen? wtf
bawb
Commander
Commander

11 Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:14 pm

:stab:

yeah. these are the only guys who do something for tribes and specially for annihilation forums:

List of Site Contributors
1: Jinzo
2: DaJ4ck3L
3: Plasmatic (as if his contributions weren't already enough...)
4: Quimica
5: Treshnell
6: ?
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

12 Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:26 pm

WoW is 6 years younger than Tribes. What other games from 2003 are still around and so active? Guild Wars, maybe; I haven't logged into that in a few years.

The difference is pretty stark between games of today and games as they used to be.
There's a 'pokemon effect'. You know, "Gotta catch em all!"

Xbox's achievements, PS3 trophies, Steam achievements, unlocks, etc. There has to be a point, a purpose. Players want something to work towards; gone are the days of just playing for fun, to get better, to win. Along with this must come social networking.

In the past, games were like movies. You make it and hope enough people buy it to turn a profit on it.
Totally different, now. Games are becoming a business. They realized that there's more profit the longer they can get you to play it. The more you invest into the game, the higher their profits from it can be.

The new Tribes is playing on that in the same way.
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

13 Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:19 am

I contributed to Tribes.

A ton of years of both playing and developing.
C--
Sorry....

14 Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:35 pm

what did you contribute roma? and the new tribes is all well and to me, any successor that doesnt crash and burn i can look at positively lol. (which we dont know yet about the what, to be 5th sequel or remake of tribes)

with the tribes SDK (nofix admitted to having) the original tribes can be redone with newer features (trophies, kill streaks, perks, friends lists, w/e) on the same platform. the new tribes games are NOT tribes, whether you slap a title on it or not it wont feel, look, or sound the same. never has.

you guys realize that most of the content made for tribes is based off of script and no real changes in the programming itself... that kept the game alive for what, 8 solid years with a good playerbase. modifications to the programming allow for more flexibility in the script, and for less limitations in game as far as implimenting new content that people will like and want to play.

the coders stayed, where did the programmers go
bawb
Commander
Commander

15 Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:39 pm

I think NoFiX just got sick of belittling all of the coders who attempted to contribute...

Sure, maybe some of my projects were worthless in his opinion, but I learned new things by doing them, so they weren't worthless to me...
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

16 Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 pm

I wonder where is plas going with annihilation mod website lol.
You realize this is probably the most populated tribes1 forum, but since Tribes is dead
people will start vanishing. Tribes 0 doesn't need to be edited.
Unless you bring another 200 people to Starsiege Tribes, any efforts on the site and
everything else are pretty much nothing. The last *brazillian* wave of players did just
that and kept Tribes for over 1 year.
T:A is garbage because it doesn't allow mods, maps or anything. It should be turned
into a facebook game because it perfectly fits right there.
And I want to try Legions :(
C--
Sorry....

17 Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 am

You are such a Negative Nancy...

Personally, I think the Brazilian Tsunami scared the majority of vets away with their lack of understanding of the rules...

Now that Pushbiscuit has basically swallowed up that wave, and taught them how to play for their team, playing with them is much more fun.

I think the issues keeping the vets from returning to Starsiege: Tribes are currently blowing up on the BR forums... Which brings me to my 4th point.

The BR forums are far more active than these, at the moment, which is unfortunate, to say the least.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

18 Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 pm

I want this to be the central forum and website of Tribes 1 which is dead.
I mean, BR can exist with more posts, the important people should be here (fuking nofix)
and organizations like hirez should read feedbacks on Tribes stuff from this site more than any other.
C--
Sorry....

19 Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:33 pm

C-- wrote:I want this to be the central forum and website of Tribes 1 which is dead.
I mean, BR can exist with more posts, the important people should be here (fuking nofix)
and organizations like hirez should read feedbacks on Tribes stuff from this site more than any other.

dito!
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

20 Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:53 pm

In my opinion, there are two main barriers to overcome in order to breathe yet another life into this old game:

- Fragmentation. We must end once and for all the suicidal division and runaway edits, at least while we rebuild the player base. Once it is up again, we can think of variations and such. I think we would all agree on endorsing a new edit by Plas and just concentrate all out efforts on it. We are few but should be enough to spearhead this initiative.

- Marketing. A real, professional and concerted effort to get back on the radars. We don't need to compete with the big guys. If we only attract 1000 players we will be happier than ever. And really, 1000 nowadays with all the social and gaming networking tools, should be so within reach.

I know we can do a decent job on marketing this even without a company behind it. I've done it in <!> many times and on isolated personal efforts and even then it brought people in or back from the dead.

What is killing us is not having anything new to market, and no central point of entry for all new and old players.

2strong
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

Next

Return to News