Tribes: Ascend VIP Starter package and beta

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm

October 12, 2011
The Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta is currently scheduled to start on November 4, 2011.
To ensure a spot in the beta, HIREZ is offering a 'VIP' package for $29.99 that will guarantee access.
While this price does not include full access to all features in the game, it does feature a 30 day 'booster' that will increase leveling speed to unlock items in the game faster.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm

The Tribes: Ascend VIP Starter Pack (29.99 USD, 24.99 EUR, 19.99 GBP) includes:

VIP Status (Value: $20 USD)
800 Tribes Gold (Value: $10 USD)
30-Day Booster (Value: $15 USD)
Admission to Beta (Value: Priceless!)

Tribes Gold? :stab:

http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/268 for more information.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

3 Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

4 Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks for the news.

Disappointing :(

Just let us play the damn game with a disc launcher and we will test it, who
gives a shit about the boosters, loadouts and other items if the game doesn't feel right?

Tribes gold... They talk about money way too much
Where is the quote that says that T:A is free and everything is achievable if you have the skill/experience?
C--
Sorry....

5 Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:07 am

The preloaded beta has already been hacked, and there is youtube footage.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

6 Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:56 pm

C-- wrote:Where is the quote that says that T:A is free and everything is achievable if you have the skill/experience?

It will all be free and achievable without paying, but the people that pay can get it sooner.

The key limiting factor won't likely be skill or experience, it'll be time.

For example, in a free to play game I played a while back, called Spiral Knights, you could get all the items/equipment without spending any money. But, you had to save up "Energy Points".
You had to buy energy points with either real money, or in-game money.
You got in game money buy killing enemies, completing dungeons, etc. But, the amount of in game money you'd need to get your maxed out equipment was kind of ridiculous. If you had the time, you could do it, but it would take a couple of months.

Alternatively, which I ended up doing, you could just spend $5/10/25/50 and just buy different amounts of the energy with real money. I was enjoying the game, so I had no problem buying $10 worth of energy to advance more quickly. If I hadn't, I'd have been stuck doing the same dungeons over and over hundreds of times to earn my way there. I don't have time for that.

So that's what these companies will bank on: your time. How much is your time worth to you?
Same reason people buy World of Warcraft accounts and gold. Even though it's against the rules, technically, some people don't have the time or desire to spend the hours doing it the slow way; they want to go straight to the top and enjoy their game from there. I used to be against it, but with my now limited time due to my busy life style, I can see the usefulness.
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

7 Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 am

I signed for Tribe universe and Tribes assend BETA test. Now what I do? Sory im noob
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

8 Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 pm

You are completely correct Treshnell, hopefully the game will be engaging enough to hold players attention, and the core mechanics of the game make it worth spending money. While I'm very disappointed there will be no modding or scripting, I'm all for a game that will have continuing development, as long as it's interesting.

Anubis, you either have to pay for the starter pack, or hope you will be invited into the beta that starts November 4th. You can preload the beta now if you pay for the starter pack, and there are people that have found a way to play it now. I expect this will be patched out soon, or maybe they'll leave it in to get more attention.

If you plan on waiting, be sure to upload your dxdiag system specs on their application form.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

9 Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:10 pm

I gave up on this game around the time the first gameplay vids came out. Lemme know if they ever do get around to releasing mod support.
Toe
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

10 Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Plas, if I pay for the shit, can I install the beta in 2 diff computers? Or can I keep the setup for as many time as I want? Because im going to buy a new pc in december, but this Tribes Gold 10$ shit is only till 4 Nov, right?
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

11 Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:10 am

I've installed it on 2 already. The hack is patched out already, but the working .exe is out there. :boogie:
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

12 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 am

If you want to play, you need to pre-order the game and follow these instructions:

After pre-order, you should have the preloaded T:A game files that you can get with the Hi-Command updater/patcher.

Here's how:
Start the game normally from Hi-Command and get to the broken login screen
Exit the game
Check in your Windows user directory's "Documents\My Games\Tribes Ascend\TribesGame\Config\ " folder for a file named TribesEngine.ini
Open the file in a text editor and find the lines in the "URL" section that say "Map=TribesMainEntry.fmap " and "LocalMap=TribesMainEntry .fmap"
Change the name of the file to one of the maps in "C:\Hi-Command\games\tribes alpha\TribesGame\CookedPC \Maps"
there's a folder for each map, just pick a .fmap file (the TrCTF-XXXX.fmap ones seem to work)
Change the line back in TribesEngine.ini to something like "Map=TrCTF-Drydock.fmap" and do the same for LocalMap
Run the game again from Hi-Command

For a higher resolution: find "ResX" and "ResY" in the same file. Mine are set to ResX=1920 and ResY=1080

HOW TO CHANGE CLASS:

Step One: Press ~ (Console)

Step Two: Type "SetCharFamily Light_Pathfinder" without quotes.

Step Three: Enjoy new class

Heavy_Doombringer

Heavy_Juggernaught

Heavy_Brute

Heavy_Rook

Heavy_Marauder

Medium_Scrambler

Medium_Technician

Medium_Soldier

Medium_Warder

Medium_Ranger

Medium_Raider

Medium_Engineer

Light_Pathfinder

Light_Infiltrator

Light_Sentinel

Light_Wraith

Light_Jumper

Light_Architect

that's it! now you can play T:A before the beta officially starts.

(note: you can find the "real" game start menu by changing the .fmap to MainEntry.fmap instead of TribesMainEntry.fmap, but none of the modes seem to work right now because the 'open' command is unsupported in this build)

in the game, there's a console accessible either by pressing ` (~) or [. the commands work for various things, and some are broken, but there's one that works that adds credits/money... called something like "GiveCredits 10000". running that command lets you buy vehicles.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

13 Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:25 pm

:cat:
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

14 Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:07 pm

There's a speed cap now.

I swear to god they're taking the WORST ideas of every previous Tribes (mainly T2 base in this case) and coming up with as many brain-dead new ones as they can.
Toe
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

15 Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

16 Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Akuma approved?
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

17 Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:41 am

tribe1 players r hating it. Too T:V and too GG: Legions

well played Hiresz

:roll: nice smiles plas. and thanks for love up my cool avatar
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

18 Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 am

Anytime Anoobus :cat:
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

19 Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:14 am

Yea but let them do their thing until they release it. After that we can post complaints on their forums and maybe they will give a love. Because unfortunately the power is not in the hands of T1 veterans that played from 1999 but the potential suckers with lots of money in their pockets.
C--
Sorry....

20 Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Coincidentally, the T1 Veterans from 1999 are mostly now veteran adults with jobs, money, and little free time.
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

Next

Return to News