Tribes Ascend gameplay and video.

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 am

June 27, 2011
IGN did a short write up on Tribes Ascend today that included a game play video and more information on their business model. The game will be free to download and play, but loadouts beyond base armor and weapons will be purchased with in game currency or real money.

Click this link for more information.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 am

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1178865p1.html
Game play video here.
Tribes: Ascend -- Taking the League of Legends Approach
A fast, frantic and free shooter is on the way, but will it be successful?
June 27, 2011

Setting up a game for the free-to-play (F2P) market seems like risky business. I mean, how do you make money from something that you are giving away for free? In actuality, and perhaps counter-intuitively, the free-to-play model seems to be lower-risk than the traditional boxed-game model. With no barrier for entry, thousands can try a game and the developer can let its quality speak for itself. By cleverly throwing in micro-transactions a developer can make fistfuls of cash from a growing, often competitive audience looking to get some edge over their friends and rivals. If a developer makes their puchasables too valuable (say, a sword that is more powerful than anything a player can reasonably obtain for free), however, the developer may alienate the majority its players.

Hi-Rez Studios, the development team behind free-to-play MMO shooter Global Agenda, is all too aware of the difficulties of creating a good free-to-play game. But they're also acutely aware of the potential benefits. That's why Tribes: Ascend, the next game to come from the studio, is going to be free-to-play. Tribes: Ascend includes all the halmarks of the series. The setting is futuristic and colorful, players have jetpacks, and skiing -- where players glide along the surface of the terrain at great speeds -- is central to the gameplay. It's very fast-paced and a huge amount of fun, but making a game like Tribes: Ascend free-to-play and still financially viable may be a challenge.

The traditional microtransaction model that a lot of F2P MMORPGs have used, where potions and convenience items can be bought and used, doesn't work so well for a first-person-shooters. With Team Fortress 2's recent switch to free-to-play, the approach was to give players alternate weapons. For Tribes: Ascend, Hi-Rez is talking inspiration from one of the most successful games in the free-to-play market -- League of Legends.

For League of Legends, Riot develops brand new champions and releases them on a two-week cycle. These champions can be bought using in-game currency (the standard new champ requires about 40-60 games worth of in-game currency to buy) or can be bought using actual cash for five to ten US dollars. There's a roster of freely usable champions that rotates every week, so even if you don't buy any champions you can still have a lot of fun, but getting really good at a few particular champions typically requires a purchase.

It's a model that has worked extremely well for Riot, and with Tribes: Ascend, Hi-Rez hopes to emulate that success. Naturally, there are some differences, though. Instead of buying champions, Tribes players will be buying loadouts. A loadout determines the characteristics of your character in battle -- specifically, their armor type (light, medium or heavy) which also affects movement (heavy units move slowly, light very quicky), the two weapons they will be carrying, the type of explosive they will wield, and what their pack (which can change the dynamic of a character) does.

As an example, one loadout gave my character medium armor, an explosive-disk-shooting gun, a decent rapid-firing handgun, a set of grenades, and 20% more energy for my standard jetpack. It was a sort of all-rounder loadout that allowed me to assault the enemy's base or defend my own depending on what was needed.

A different loadout gave me heavy armor, a repair tool to fix structures with, a basic rifle, the ability to throw down mines (instead of grenades), and the ability to drop turrets. This was a much more defensive build, letting me patch up base structures like generators and cover key areas with my turrets.

There were loadouts designed for stealth and infiltration, for long-range siege, and for straight-up killing too. Like League of Legends, Hi-Rez wants to be able to push new loadouts out regularly, providing new ways for players to take on the enemy, as well as make available cosmetic buyables like skins. There will also likely be ways to increase the rate of your character growth, as an experience and leveling system of sorts will provide customization options and perks.

The question is, will a model that worked for League of Legends still work for a completely different style of game? I have concerns about giving players customization options in a game where the distinction between friend and enemy at a glance is so important. I'm also not sure how desirable owning different loadouts will be. With LoL, it's simply a case of being facerolled by someone in a different champion to make you want to own that champion. With Tribes: Ascend, the ability to tell what loadout a person is using is much tougher, and it is likely that you will be able to switch between a limited set of loadouts during a match, making the distinction even tougher. Even if each loadout was visually distinct, the pace of the game means that by the time you're close enough to identify another player, you might already be dead.

The core game is very strong -- I played it for a couple hours and thoroughly enjoyed it -- so that may be enough to ensure its success critically, but whether it will be successful commercially will depend on how well Hi-Rez can make one player want to fill a dozen roles. I'm not 100% certain that a FPS like Tribes is where something like that can happen, but I probably would have said the same about DotA a few years ago.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

3 Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:27 am

Of course now we all know why mapping and modding tools are not going to be included. :stab:
With that out of the way, the game looks like fun. I'm not too excited about limited load outs - LT game anyone, but who knows?
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

4 Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Does look fun, though. You'll have to find a way to make them some money with mods, I guess.
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

5 Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:38 pm

From what I understand (after reading what was posted here), everyone will have access to the standard items in the inventory from Base, essentially, however, you could purchase things that are inspired by other mods, perhaps...

Imagine being the only player in the game able to buy Titan armor... That's essentially what I'm reading.

It's certainly an incentive to pay to play, but it better be possible to earn the same stuff through game play or ad revenue or something...

I don't mind clicking a button a couple hundred times to get an advantage, and I definitely don't want to give the game my credit card number and find out a month later that I was charged per bullet fired.

I'm definitely going to play this game, and probably going to purchase enough crap in game to give the developers what they deserve for making it, but I better not end up in a scenario where if I don't purchase more I won't enjoy the game.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

6 Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:20 pm

No single player, right?
C--
Sorry....

7 Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm

I was reading it that the game comes pre configured with loadouts that you can select (but not modify). Then you can buy more loadouts (different configurations of the same weapons/armors/packs).
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

8 Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Hmm... Interesting theory.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

9 Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:24 pm

those weapons are fugly
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

10 Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Someone needs to hack in modding quick.. ;)
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

11 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 am

LT!=Tribes
Blakhart
The ultimate Iowigger!

12 Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Unreal 3 engine. I expect physics similar to T:V
C--
Sorry....

13 Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:43 pm

You guys are impossible to satisfy.

First, you pirated the game (you know you did, too) which means the master servers are serving a lot more clients/servers than they fiscally planned.

Then, you complain that dynamix sold the ip and shut down the master servers which were not financially viable, even though community master servers were up and running before the official ones were gone.

Then you vaness about the onslaught of noobs when the game was officially available for free and the choice of game engines for the next versions that you probably didn't pay for.

We all know that the dated business model of selling games is obsolete, and fiscally irresponsible.

If you had to choose between a monthly plan like WoW, or what ever they are describing, which would you rather have?

That's what I thought, now write your vaness.

I would like to see mapping at least... Preferably modding too. But I'm gonna try the game regardless, just because it's called Tribes, and I'll pay for what I can afford if it's worth it.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

14 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Perrinoia wrote:That's what I thought, now write your mollying.

They are copying Lord of the rings Online's style free to play, man... Thats not new.
plus, look at those weapons. I really hope they allow moddeling, so someone can make t1 models for it
Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

15 Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:29 am

Anubis wrote:
Perrinoia wrote:That's what I thought, now write your mollying.

They are copying Lord of the rings Online's style free to play, man... Thats not new.
plus, look at those weapons. I really hope they allow moddeling, so someone can make t1 models for it

Actually it can be fun regardless of graphics and models. They put all the graphics so it will apply to today's PC game standard graphics, otherwise people wouldn't even look at it. Physics is the key in Tribes !!
And copying Tribes 2 is not too good... Tribes 1 is the game...
C--
Sorry....

16 Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Perrinoia wrote:If you had to choose between a monthly plan like WoW, or what ever they are describing, which would you rather have?

Valve did a nice job with Steam and CSS. You buy the game for a single free, you can setup your own server, you can mod, map and make love with it and you still have a good game to play. Everybody happy :cat:
Hajduk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

17 Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Gee, I wonder why they didn't mention that this was also the business model of InstantAction/Legions? :roll:

League of Legends also sells a retail version, which I own. Basically, it's a pack that unlocks a bunch of stuff that costs less than what you'd pay for each item individually. Hopefully T:A will have some retail presence.

But if there's no mods, I probably won't play it very long. :|

C-- wrote:Unreal 3 engine. I expect physics similar to T:V

For what, bullets? That's about the only thing T:V used Unreal Engine's physics for. Vehicles and ragdoll used Havok physics, and the player physics code was custom.
Toe
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

18 Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Here is a slowed down version of the teaser trailer I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6gb6GYsKSg

As for all the information that has come out along with the video well...I'll just go back to punching that baby for now
Death666
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

19 Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:59 am

Nice and thank you.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

20 Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:46 am

I have heard there is to be no modding or mapping. Anyone have any input on that?
Blakhart
The ultimate Iowigger!

Next

Return to News