Anubis
=A cantora floribella=

3 Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Nice one mang
(=SK=)Zorak
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

4 Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:47 pm

What is the future of being able to play and mod Starsiege Tribes legally speaking? It doesn't make sense for the main version everyone actually uses to be illegal to redistribute when there's a free version that is legally redistributable. Somebody should petition the new owners of the Tribes IP to formally grant permission for people to redistribute the leaked beta under the same terms as the "free" older version put out .... when was that again?
Nerd42
Ensign
Ensign

5 Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:52 am

Well, doens't seem as anyone gives much of a damn to me.
(=SK=)Zorak
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

6 Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:31 am

I certainly don't.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

7 Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:37 pm

i think if we had a good way to advertize tribes would get more players again, its a pretty simple install and free games are very popular

i havent seen tribes on any lists of the best free games, and yet they have crappy games all over getting millions of hits
bawb
Commander
Commander

8 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 am

true
C--
Sorry....

9 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 am

A good single player campaign would help 'sell' it to a new audience.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

10 Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 pm

Plasmatic wrote:A good single player campaign would help 'sell' it to a new audience.

I tried. Won't work, Tribes is good for it's multiplayer gameplay.
C--
Sorry....

11 Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:21 pm

He said a GOOD single player campaign... :lol:
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

12 Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Perrinoia wrote:He said a GOOD single player campaign... :lol:

You are just horrible like that...
C--
Sorry....

13 Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 pm

It takes a lot of hard work to be that horrible. ;)
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

14 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Yours are made to be played online. I think something similar to what the 996 bootcamp map had, but with actual goals in mind. I'd love to do something with Annihilation, but would need help.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

15 Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Plasmatic wrote:Yours are made to be played online. I think something similar to what the 996 bootcamp map had, but with actual goals in mind. I'd love to do something with Annihilation, but would need help.

Not talking about "Server Co-op" game type, where server players unite, although it is one of the best game modes
Tribes has seen. Definitely worth making those as they are simple and involve a lot of fun.

This one is for offline play (single player). I finished the second one too, it's a lot harder.
The goal here is that players think intuitively and play safe, not jumping into battles like some Rembo.
So I made that too, and guess what plas, one map like this is 2 weeks of some productive work with
mapping and scripting. The reward is not worth the effort, you will lose it and stop making them like I did.
It is a LOT of hard work.
C--
Sorry....

16 Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:25 am

Here's the problem with making a single player map like that...

When you're done, you know where all of the enemies are, and how they will behave. There is zero challenge for the mapper when playing his own single player map.

Unless you write some really good AI code with a difficulty level scaled by your score.

I'm doing something like that, though, it's not necessarily great AI code... The bots merely spawn in random locations, and are replaced by 2 every time 1 dies (until you reach the bot limit).

The map is basically a duel map, like KWSN Duel, minus the neutral zone... And the bots only spawn when there is only one player on the only team.

All of the bots spawn in the same arena that players spawn in... And they start spawning when the only player spawns...

So, if you are the first to connect to the server while it is hosting that map (or change to that map while you are the only player), one bot will spawn, and when you kill it, 2 more will spawn, and when you kill each of them, 2 more will spawn... etc... It should prove quite difficult before you reach the limit (127).

It will hopefully entertain you while you wait for real players to connect to the server, and when they do, all of the bots will eat their cyanide caps.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

17 Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 pm

What you said might be really fun, but it is not a single player campaign. Its like my server coop but with 1 player?
C--
Sorry....

18 Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Yeah, it's not a campaign at all... That would imply some sort of story... This is more like an arcade mode or something.

I dunno anything about your coop thing to compare... I thought it was just the same as your campaign, but with 2 real players.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

19 Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 pm

bawb wrote:i think if we had a good way to advertize tribes would get more players again, its a pretty simple install and free games are very popular

i havent seen tribes on any lists of the best free games, and yet they have crappy games all over getting millions of hits

An opportunity:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Playdate/
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

20 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm

bumped for relevance

PM me for the Project Revive Tribes chat room link and password
bawb
Commander
Commander

Return to News