Tribes: Ascend VIP Starter package and beta

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

21 Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:53 pm

You just described me to a T, except for the bit about having money...
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

22 Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Posted by SmoothP on the HiRez forum:

SmoothP wrote:

HiRez, will it be like CoD?
HiRez, do you think they'll mortar me?
HiRez, do you think they'll try to rape my base?
Oooh, aah...
HiRez, should I cap my speed?

HiRez, should I try to grab the flag?
HiRez, should I try to snipe with lag?
HiRez, will they chain me down like hitscan wh0res?
Oooh, aah...
Is it just a two wep bore?

Hush now, gamer, gamer, don't you cry
HiRez gonna make all of your nightmares come true
HiRez gonna heap tons of constraints onto you
HiRez gonna keep you right here under her weight
She won't let you fly, but she might let you skate
HiRez will keep Baby cozy and warm
Oooo Babe...
Oooo Babe...
Ooo Babe, of course HiRez gonna hard cap your speed
Toe
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

23 Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:45 am

Treshnell wrote:Coincidentally, the T1 Veterans from 1999 are mostly now veteran adults with jobs, money, and little free time.

You can use that statement to explain why most games that come out find themselves sucking more than their ancestors and where are video games heading with the improvement of graphics.
C--
Sorry....

24 Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:21 am

I don't think it's so much that games that come out suck more than their ancestors, though. I think it's more that gaming has become such a huge industry, that the industry has found that mass-producing games is the best business model. Every now and then, a great game is still made.

In the past, games had to be good to get their sales because there was a relatively small percentage of the population playing them. You still had quite a few crap titles, though.

It's no different than movies. Most movies that come out are terrible, but there's usually a couple of decent ones each year.
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

25 Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Most seasoned players are having issues with the Hirez business model and it's conflict with Tribes freedom of movement. They've even announced unlocks for skiing and top air speed, not to mention the unholy idea of locked loadouts. I would gladly pay $50 for a Tribes game without anything locked, as would most Tribes veterans. The problem is getting new players into the series, and loadouts and unlocks is the Hirez solution.
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

26 Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 am

They figured it this idea worked with Facebook games it will work with Tribes.
C--
Sorry....

27 Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 am

I hate multiplayer games with unlocks and crap like that...

That whole concept is good for a single player campaign, where the bots you are fighting get progressively harder and numerous and you need more fire power to take em out faster.

However, in multiplayer games, you could be facing a noob, or a vet on any given day, and unlocks are merely another distraction between you and a glorious fight!

Tribes has no such 'incentives' to convince me to continue playing for 13 years, or to convince me to purchase the game in the first place.

If HiRez wants me to play another game, they need to work on the back end of the game, not the front end. Build an awesome game engine with awesome graphics with an awesome scripting language and let the community build the front end with scripts, maps, skins, and other customization things.

They can make money by including some kind of customization market, where you could buy customization tools, or other people's configs. Players could make money too, by selling configs, mods, maps, etc...

That's the kind of shit they should be working on... Not this buy a new game changing loadout now or earn it by stats padding bullcrap.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

28 Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:05 pm

It's sad to see them urge to get some money from whatever possible.
Whatever, the game is done, just waiting for the release.
C--
Sorry....

29 Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Sounds like $7 a loadout...
Toe
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Previous

Return to News