New Tribes beta leaked!

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:54 pm

The latest version of the Tribes re-release beta was recently leaked. While we will not be hosting this version of Tribes here because of NDA's, it is available elsewhere. This version is 1.40.655, and has problems that will be addressed when the project is re-opened. I encourage those of you that have it, post any bugs you find so we can track them.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:59 pm

It isn't the most stable of clients. It usually crashes if I go to the options tab while in-game, or after a game ends(and next map begins).

The HUD is somewhat borked. The health/energy indicators are overlapping, and the score box sometimes likes to go on top of the chat box.

I've noticed a few stuttering issues. I wouldn't call it lag, but hell if I know. My ping was around 40-60 at the time. Every player was stuttering for me. However, this was a one-time thing. I haven't had any issues since.

When joining, it'd be nice if the score box displayed the current score, instead of only tracking flag captures after you've joined. I really don't know if this is a bug or not since I never used that before(simply used Tab).

That's it for bugs. I have a few complaints, but they are minor and perhaps not worth mentioning...
EvanVolm
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

3 Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:24 am

It never finishes loading the server list on it's own, I have to cancel it and tell it to refresh all. Once I've done that I can see an updated list of who is playing on what servers...

What ever buttons I was pressing when entering inventory mode (whether I have access to an inventory station or not) immediately release, and I have to manually release them and press them again if I wish to continue doing what ever I was doing... For instance, if I am skiing, and accidentally press i, I immediately stop skiing.

The options menu has some kinda dropper scripts, but they are specific to base... Instead of having options to spew turrets or repair packs, they should make it spew what ever pack you've purchased with your favorites.

Also, due to the fact that there are only 5 favorites in this version, I often need to sell a particular weapon purchased threw favorites, and buy one that is not marked as a fav... But they've split the inventory screen in half and sent the panel of items I own to one side of my screen and the panel of items I can buy to the other. This means that my cursor needs to move across nearly 1366 pixels to get from one button to the next. While I love having the playmode screen as the inventory background, I think the inventory menu should be in the center instead of split on either side.

I have also occasionally experienced unexplained lock ups during mission change.

I agree with EvanVolm that the objective hud should not display client side stats... It is confusing when you join a game and think that the score is 0-0 and then seconds later someone caps out the mission 7-8...
Last edited by Perrinoia on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

4 Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:28 am

Bah, totally forgot about that server list one.
EvanVolm
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

5 Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:40 pm

for the server list bug delete the master and reinstall
Quimica
Call me Mr. Picky.

6 Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Just a suggestion, but maybe y'all could add a way to rebind the console key, because for me and some other Vista users, we can't pull up the console with the tilde key.
Krogoth
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

7 Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:13 pm

In 1.40? I haven't had a problem with it... Though I gotta admit that I also wouldn't mind the option.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

8 Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:21 pm

I know it's nit-picky, but I'd rather have plasdemocam instead of DemoHUD controls in 1.40. Love doing that bullet-time 360° shit.
EvanVolm
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

9 Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Is there a command for toggling fullscreen/windowed mode? I'd like to set a keybind for that since my fullscreen screenshots look like crap.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

10 Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 pm

setFullscreenMode(MainWindow, "true");
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

11 Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:36 am

I think one of you should send me a copy for eh Aeon reasons O:)
uselessxdave
Ensign
Ensign

12 Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:39 am

I can't tell the difference between Editor.exe and Tribes.exe, they appear to do the same thing...
The editor.cs file has been moved thus "exec(editor);" will not load it, you have to type out exec("client/editor/editor.cs");
I could not copy/cut/paste objects in the editor, and when I tried to drag an interior shape off of another one beneath the terrain with snap on, Editor.exe locked up.

Personally, I think that if you launch Editor.exe, the editor scripts should automatically be loaded.. Also, instead of a "new" button that makes a new client side terrain, there should be 2 buttons, one that makes a new terrain, the other simply duplicates the current mission's dsc and mis file with what ever name you choose.

Also, I think there should be a dsc editor (F6 maybe). It could look just like the mission info screen you see when you press escape, but with a text toolbar so you can format the text... And maybe a "clipart" button with a gallery of icons you can insert, like the generator icons or the jolly roger. :pirateflag:
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

13 Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:09 pm

love Windows Seven. Works perfectly on my comp :-)
C--
Sorry....

14 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:15 am

i think it should come with extra reticle options. like blue red or green xhairs and take the damn circle out of my sniper cross as well as other color options for that too. maybe something to accommodate for bad ping so it doesn't feel like im trigger lagging. as well as a higher polygon count for the weapons lets see more weapon detail :D
S_hift
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

15 Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:04 am

Yeah, the graphics detail option should have a wider range of detail.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

16 Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:07 am

S_hift wrote:i think it should come with extra reticle options. like blue red or green xhairs and take the darn a roo circle out of my sniper cross as well as other color options for that too. maybe something to accommodate for bad ping so it doesn't feel like im trigger lagging. as well as a higher polygon count for the weapons lets see more weapon detail :D

1. Changing a reticle takes 30 seconds.
2. There is no cure for bad ping.
3. You can make new models.

Your're just like that evan volm or whatever guy who blogged about how the beta has overlapping huds and he couldn't understand why it would come like that. He couldn't seem to figure out how to move them but he knew how to make them disappear. People have been customizing Tribes since day one yet everybody wants everything included right out of the box. OMG NO ANNIHILATION FAVORITES IN THE BETA WTF!?!?!?!?!?!

http://evanvolm.blogspot.com/2010/03/tribes-140playtribes-leak.html
Quimica
Call me Mr. Picky.

17 Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:52 am

Just because I said I want it fixed in the final version doesn't mean I don't know how to move them. Besides, moving them doesn't do shit when they go right back to overlapping after restarting the client.
EvanVolm
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

18 Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:01 pm

If it crashes, it doesn't save where you chose to move them. You have to move them, then quit, to ensure that it will remember where you want them. It's the same for setting inventory favorites... If you crash after setting favs, Tribes will not remember your favs.

The huds will always be overlapps when you adjust from a higher resolution to a lower resolution. Who ever leaked it probably used a higher resolution than you, thus when you change the resolution to something lower, the huds automatically get rearranged for the new resolution and often over lap eachother.

Long story short: Pick a screen resolution first, move huds second, exit tribes third, then relaunch tribes and it will remember your idiotic preferences.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

19 Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:26 pm

2. There is no cure for bad ping.

wrong... give back the option of software in windowed as well as ogl low end users are getting bad ping. also this really doesn't even seem like a "new beta". all it looks like to me is a souped up version of 1.11! also it should automatically check the clients internets to see if its even capable of using t1 support for online. also noticing that alot of things are written with a fear gui like the invo screens crosshairs hudlines ect... that would also simulate a lag effect also im noticing a hint of mouse smoothing to any fps gamer mouse smoothing is a big no no. oh and remove andrews love arse huds. only time ive ever seen him queef out goodness was when hudbot came out and the option to move huds also it would be wise to enable the alpha gui on the mini map it does believe it or not cause crashing.
S_hift
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

20 Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:33 pm

The odd effect of this leak is that it's turning the majority of annihilation forum members into retards.
NoFiXette
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to News