StarSiege 2845

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:10 pm

I just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know the good news. I've been accepted into the dev team for StarSiege2845 (http://www.starsiege2845.com). If you guys haven't checked this out lately you really should. SS2845 was going to be a mod for T:V but because of engine limitations they've moved the project to the Torque Engine. We are currently coding on the Torque Gaming Engine but we'll be moving it to the Torque Shader Engine when it is released.

For those who don't know, the original StarSiege was the older brother to Tribes1 and both are based in the same engine. The premise for SS is mechwarrior type combat along with planes, tanks and infantry (no jetpacks though...). We are hoping to have something workable by April but that date could slide. Trajan (the Producer) has been releasing some screenshots from the Torque Gaming Engine and they look fantastic.

http://www.starsiege2845.com/ss2845/index.php?module=v4bJournal&func=journal_view&mode=detail&uid=3

We just got some screenshots from the Torque Shader Engine demo at GDC a few days ago and they are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. See for yourself:

Before you ask, I am bound by NDA and I cannot give any more information than what is already listed on the SS website.
Sevnn
Site Admin
Site Admin

2 Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:18 pm

That looks pretty sweet. Good luck with it and grats on getting in on the dev team :D
Treshnell
Forum Ninja

3 Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:20 pm

is it free?
AIT-Ironbird
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

4 Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:48 pm

AIT-Ironbird wrote:is it free?

Not sure what you are referring to as "it" but I'll assume you are asking about the TGE or TSE. No, neither are free. The TGE costs $100 and the TSE costs $150 (but could go up when they finish it, and requires that you own the TGE). Both are exceptional purchases for what you get. Basically you are buying the Tribes2 engine source code with a few functionalities removed (that could be put right back in very easily). If you wanted to build a FPS game, TGE is a very, very good choice.
Sevnn
Site Admin
Site Admin

5 Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:04 pm

are you allowed to "hint" about things? :D
xboxmaster56
Change is Swell

6 Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:22 pm

I'm sure he wouldn't risk breaking a contract he's legally bound to so he can give other's 'hints' at the game. Go look at the site.
Crotalus
I DEMAND A TITLE!

7 Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:38 pm

8)

It just wouldn't be apart of the Tribes series w/o tourqe anymore :P

*EDIT*

Wait wait wait wait wait....when you say no jetpacks...does that mean the pilot armor won't have a jetpack? At least give it to the infentry armor :(. I know the game isn't Tribes, but still, it would be a let down. It would be almost impossible to take down a HERC on foot without one...

OH! I almost forgot! Congragulations on your success on becoming a member of SS: 2845 dev team 8). Maybe being the producer for one of the most popular mod in the Tribes series helped slightly when you applied :wink:. Do we all get cookies? :P
Starwind
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

8 Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:26 am

congrats man getttin lots a mulah outa it?? :-P

It has been a long time since ive played starseige.....i still have the two discs on my counter actually.....but from what i remmber you pick your armor before you spawn.......and you die along with your vehicle.....they made a cool football mod on it though :-) lol cant wait to see what this is all about :D .....let tribes live on!!!
-$$-Agent D
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

9 Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:45 am

Sevnn wrote:
AIT-Ironbird wrote:is it free?

Not sure what you are referring to as "it" but I'll assume you are asking about the TGE or TSE. No, neither are free. The TGE costs $100 and the TSE costs $150 (but could go up when they finish it, and requires that you own the TGE). Both are exceptional purchases for what you get. Basically you are buying the Tribes2 engine source code with a few functionalities removed (that could be put right back in very easily). If you wanted to build a FPS game, TGE is a very, very good choice.

i ment is the game free for us. i have no idea what u just said
AIT-Ironbird
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

10 Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:08 am

lol.. if they had to pay for the engine i doubt the game will be free... TGE and TSE are game engines, it's the source code that you build games from.
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

11 Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:29 pm

Coders. :roll: The mission design team is where it's at, yo. :wink:

j/k...Again, welcome to the team. I'll make sure to give you coder guys lots of scripting functions to implement. :P

[BA] Sentinal [MIB]
Starsiege 2845: Mission Design & Planetary Textures
BA_Sentinal
Ensign
Ensign

12 Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:09 pm

yes please... as your doing that, can you catalog all the scripting functions you make sorta like the scripting documents are here http://www.annihilation.info/downloads.php
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

13 Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:58 pm

I believe it's similar to T2, it is based on the same engine and all...
Crotalus
I DEMAND A TITLE!

14 Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:44 am

hvMechWarrior mod
http://www.housevagoroth.com

[/promotion]
Rattle
Commander
Commander

15 Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:21 am

Crotalus wrote:I believe it's similar to T2, it is based on the same engine and all...

well technicaly its not really tribes but it is but u cant do tribes stuff in it i dont think. and the torqe engine did get updated so maybe the UE's are gone and huge fockin robots i may get it.
AIT-Ironbird
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

16 Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:56 pm

yes. mee too. it prob wont be that expensive, since the dev team isn't paid.
Floater Eater
Captain
Captain

17 Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:36 pm

Crotalus wrote:I believe it's similar to T2, it is based on the same engine and all...

I hope they cleaned up the network coding a bit.
And made the rendering faster.
because thats the great problem of tribes 2 on "older" pc's.
(with older i mean 1.1ghz pc's with a 32mb graphics card)
BART_SIMPSON416
Homerbane4000

18 Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:49 pm

A few things that could be found on the StarSiege website if you looked:

Jetpacks have no purpose in the StarSiege2845 time period, but it is possible support will be built into the engine for them.

The dev team is not being paid for our work, it is a labor of love for the game and the community. When the game project is finished, it will be handed over to VU to do with as they see fit. This could mean the game will be released free to the public or it could mean that it will be published in a box and sold at your local retailer. Nothing has been determined at this time.

The game is using the Torque Engine which is based on the Tribes2 Engine. The UE's of Tribes2 are long gone as are most of the other problems Tribes2 suffered from. Hardware requirements have not be determined yet but they will most likely be higher than Tribes2. The shaders in the TSE require hardware support (Geforce3 or better) but we don't know how those will be implemented yet so again there are no hardware specs at this point. It would be easy to assume you'd need similar hardware to UT2004. If your computer couldn't render Tribes2 effectively, you will most likley need to upgrade to play SS2845.

As for the networking code, Torque has one of the best network implementations of any game engine ever created. Where else can you have 128 users in an FPS like Tribes? The Torque Network code can actually be purchased sepereate of the gaming engine with its own licensing.
Sevnn
Site Admin
Site Admin

19 Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:05 am

wow.

anyhoo, what part of the dev are you working on? the engine? game scripts? modelling? texturing? level design??

will the scripts be open source like tribes, so its easily moddable?

also, i know you guys have a LOT to do, but something you might want to consider is putting an auto-map/file downloader in the game, so people don't have to worry about clientside/serverside stuff anymore.
Floater Eater
Captain
Captain

20 Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:37 am

I believe he is working on AI currently.. I could be wrong.
xboxmaster56
Change is Swell

Next

Return to News