Annihilation 2.3 installed 2500 times!

Announcements, Important Things and other Cool Stuff

Moderator: Moderators

1 Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:41 am

Somebody asked me a week ago why I still bother with Annihilation, especially when most servers run modified versions.

It made me think a bit. The short answer is simply because I enjoy Tribes and Annihilation.

The long answer is a little more involved. Annihilation was birthed by Scavenger, raised by Sevnn, and I took over around the 2.0 beta. Since then, I've done most of the code work, and more recently, have taken over forum duties. This takes a lot of time. I often spend more time Coding than actually playing, forum time is also less time to play.

Part of it is working with the Tribes engine, and the challenges it presents. Coding Annihilation is sometimes no more than tricking the engine into behaving. Annihilation has become a very flexable Tribes mod, surpassing what the original Tribes developers would have imagined.

Annihilation has put me in contact with many great people. People from this forum, Clan Orb members, and many others. You guys are another reason I continue polishing Annihilation. Yes it bothers me that most server admins choose older versions, or hack apart newer versions. I think part of the problem stems from Build Mode. With this in mind, I've decided to turn off Build Mode in the development server. Blue Sex will no longer be a building server, if it even retains the same name. Build mode will still be supported in newer versions, but Annihilation will be tuned with game play in mind. Please post any ideas in the suggestions sections of these forums.

Sevnn's post disturbs me, simply because a lot of players are reporting similar experiences. To be fair, there may have been a spawn point nearby, but Annihilations Offensive Turret code is very effective, and deployable turrets are easy to destroy. Server owners are free to admin as they see fit, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Tribes 1 has more players than Tribes 2 and Tribes Vengeance combined. This means there are a lot of new players around, with more people trying Annihilation for the first time. Please keep this in mind if you run a server. Annihilation can be confusing enough for new players without seemingly arbitrary rules. I plan on coding some of the "Unwritten Rules" into Annihilation like minimum players for base rape, and smarter "O Turret" code. Again, I need your help, post ideas in the suggestions section.

Cliff Notes:
1. Annihilation takes time, but I enjoy it.
2. You guys rock.
3. The development server, Blue Sex will be standard play from now on.
4. Please admin intelligently.
5. Give new players a chance.
6. Suggestions to make the game fun are always welcome.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

2 Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:15 am

NICE POST PLAS

keep up the good work...
stop by jaffes mad house some time..
SAND
Commander
Commander

3 Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:20 pm

There are at least 900 of us that appreciate what you and your crew have done. Everyday, there are more and more that are added to that number.

keep up the good work...

Yes, please do.
noxwizard
Commander
Commander

4 Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:14 pm

Who was the person who knocked the sense into u to turn off builder mode in blue sex :P, remind me to have his/her babies
KleeNeX'
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

5 Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:10 pm

nice post PLAS.

i never understood the purpose behind builder mode on all the time , To me it just looked liked little kids playing with legos most of the time. :)
qpan
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

6 Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:16 pm

*is moved to tears*

wonderful plas, you have the respect (and love) from all in the anni community... Anyone who disagrees gets pwnt
xboxmaster56
Change is Swell

7 Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:53 pm

that is good plas finally i can get back to what the ANNIHILATION MOD IS ALL ABOUT. pwning peeps.
Jinzo
Contributor #1

8 Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:34 pm

Excellent post plas! Is it really that Tribes 1 has more players than Tribes 2 and Tribes Vengeance combined? That shows how badly messed up Sierra/VU Games' priorities are. I find that your's, Sevnn's and Scavenger's work has greatly inspired me!

Although, I really don't like the idea of Blue SEX going to non-builder because now the ModX server will be more frequented by the 'kids'... (And right as I cut back the servers too... !) Although, a more 'gameplay-oriented' approach is great! I'm planning a, non-builder, mod myself (no, not ModY =D) that will, if I ever finish it, be great!

!!! I just had an awesome idea, what if we got rid of Annihilation's build mode and combined ModX to replace it under the Annihilation name? ModX is pretty stable and it could be easy to do something like this (with some unnessacary code omitted of course). That could free up your time and attention from builder mode because it would be all taken care of!
Crotalus
I DEMAND A TITLE!

9 Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:34 am

Plas, I understand your decision. And its a good one in my opinion. I mean, What part of Annihilation do you find in Builder? NONE. Tribes 1 needs more Pure Fighting mods, Like mine for example. You have like 30 seconds of hiding and WHAM!!! Annihilation is like that too. And so are other mods.

fast pace mods are needed. So I am happy that Plas Disabled Builder on BlueSex

Edit: Lol... I said: Fast Pasted Mods
Braveskin
How about a real title?

10 Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:43 am

Crotalus wrote:Excellent post plas! Is it really that Tribes 1 has more players than Tribes 2 and Tribes Vengeance combined? That shows how badly messed up Sierra/VU Games' priorities are. I find that your's, Sevnn's and Scavenger's work has greatly inspired me!

Although, I really don't like the idea of Blue SEX going to non-builder because now the ModX server will be more frequented by the 'kids'... (And right as I cut back the servers too... !) Although, a more 'gameplay-oriented' approach is great! I'm planning a, non-builder, mod myself (no, not ModY =D) that will, if I ever finish it, be great!

!!! I just had an awesome idea, what if we got rid of Annihilation's build mode and combined ModX to replace it under the Annihilation name? ModX is pretty stable and it could be easy to do something like this (with some unnessacary code omitted of course). That could free up your time and attention from builder mode because it would be all taken care of!

Yeah , i puted on Z modX on for 5minutes yesterday evening.
Their was already some kid stacking.
banned him, whe realy should do something about this.
crotalus can't you just make some sort of thing that makes that a user has to read rules the first time he comes to a modX server.
Like it says a whole bunch of rules and inside that whole bunch of rules their is some sort of password you need to type in at the end of the rules.
make the password something like:
iamnotstupidandreadtherules

That would take a way some hackers and stackers.
BART_SIMPSON416
Homerbane4000

11 Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:42 am

On the contrary bart, that only serves to annoy people; I tryed this in an earlier version. Kids need supervision, some might not even understand the rules!
Crotalus
I DEMAND A TITLE!

12 Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:08 pm

Maxwell M wrote:Plas, I understand your decision. And its a good one in my opinion. I mean, What part of Annihilation do you find in Builder? NONE. Tribes 1 needs more Pure Fighting mods, Like mine for example. You have like 30 seconds of hiding and WHAM!!! Annihilation is like that too. And so are other mods.

fast pace mods are needed. So I am happy that Plas Disabled Builder on BlueSex

Edit: Lol... I said: Fast Pasted Mods

There are many shifter mods with fast firing weapons and weaker defensive items.. I suggest you open your server list and check out every single mod there is.. You might spark some ideas for your mod..

I remember playing on klan kind which was great where less then three players disabled station/gen damage..

Also, spawn point need protection from turreting.. (ever spawned on the airbase in blue budda and be lasered or missiled while flying away?)...
Rattle
Commander
Commander

13 Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:37 pm

I was the 3000th person to install 2.3 ;)

Rattle
Commander
Commander

14 Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:32 pm

lucky...
Braveskin
How about a real title?

15 Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 pm

i've downloaded it like 25 times... beat that!
Perrinoia
Suggestion bot 10,000

16 Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:08 pm

anni slut...
Floater Eater
Captain
Captain

17 Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:07 pm

Floater Eater wrote:anni slut...

What's wrong with anni?
())======D
Spambot in training
Spambot in training

18 Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:54 pm

<-- downloaded it around 20 times =D
bob
Banned

19 Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:48 pm

you tring for a ban bob?
Jinzo
Contributor #1

20 Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:23 pm

i must have installed it over 40 times.. Anyways, congratulations!
robindegen
I ril pr0 men

Next

Return to News